Saturday, October 4, 2008

Foldables-One School's Success

Forest Middle School, located in Bedford County, Virginia, has adopted the use of Foldables as one of several teaching strategies.  We have been using these 3D graphic organizers school-wide since August 2007.  We believe this strategy has greatly enhanced student learning.  Students create the Foldable, so they assume ownership of their work from the start.  Foldables also allow students to complete the same activity yet be creative and different from their peers. Establishing ownership of their work produces better student learners.  How do you think Foldables help your students?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used Foldables in Language Arts for several years and it has been a successful strategy to increase student achievement. I’ve used them when teaching characterization, plot, vocabulary, and resource skills. Students enjoy creating and adding to these interactive tools. I highly recommend Foldables to teachers at all grade levels.

Anonymous said...

I use foldables at least once a week. They are great for developing concepts. In U.S. History classes, they enable students to make connections to the various concepts I am teaching. They work well with vocabulary too. Foldables will work with any subject matter. If you have not tried one, do so. You will be amazed at students' progress and growth. It is great to hear that someone is conducting workshops on how to incorporate and make foldables. Students seem to enjoy the hands on approach to learning.

Anonymous said...

I have used multiple foldables in my classroom. They are a hands-on way to help the students learn and take ownership of the material. I have used them for reviews and also to help clarify confusing information. I think they are great for all subjects and all ages.

helen said...

I use foldables regularly in class. They are a hands-on way to allow students to take ownership of the information. I use them for reviews and also to help clarify confusing information. I think foldables are a wonderful tool that can be used in all subjects, for all ages.

Anonymous said...

I teach World History and I feel foldables are a fun, hand-on way of teaching difficult material. It's a wonderful review tool as well. Students seem to enjoy the "hands-on" approach and take pride and ownership in their creations.